Sunday, March 23, 2014

Layered Casserole

Took inspiration from Country's Cook for a layered casserole, but reasons created by time, what was in the pantry and Ruth's inability to handle spicy.
First I started to brown a pound of ground beef I added in mushrooms, onion, salt pepper, coriander and cumin. While the beef was browning I started on the rice. They wanted Long Grain rice, which needed to be pan fried to assist in the cooking of the rice in the casserole.  I had rice in a boil bag.  Taking the hint that I did not want the rice a mushy glop.  I brought the bag of rice up to a boil and then promptly removed it from water and drained it, then scattered  in the bottom of 9x13 baking dish. I decided a few spoons of mild salsa was called for  After draining the ground beef , I layered that on top of  on top of the rice.  The recipe was calling for Rotel tomatoes, but had to be changed out to reduce heat.  Rotel was replaced by fire roasted chopped tomatoes accompanied by dices green chilies.  This I covered with a light sprinkle on grated mozzarella , this I covered with a sharp cheddar cheese.  And topped it all off with a layer of frozen corn.

baked covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.

9x13 pan seems to create three full meals for the two of us.

Ruth has been feeling poorly for the past few days, So I am eating leftover and she is dinning on buttered noodles.




No comments:

Post a Comment