Sunday, March 9, 2014

Jello - the making of a want to be cook

Confession time:  I love Jello, in most of its forms and most of its colors.  But even under the watchful eye of my wife, my jello will not setup.  So I have resorted to just letting it be known my love for Jello and my inability to make it.  And every once in a while a friend of Ruth's will take pity on me, and take the time to make and deliver this tasty, cool non-filing treat.

It may just be that this jello failing started my fiddling with the written formula (recipe).  After all if plain jello was never expanded upon, there would not be so many wonderful variations.
I love to cook.  Often do start with a book or magazine folded open in front of me.  But what is a person to do?  Change and adapt!  I like strong flavors and enough of a spicy kick to warm but not overwhelm.  My loving bride enjoys the light and delicate.  I have grandchildren who will not touch fish, a son-in-law who will predictably order chicken. Family members who think spaghetti sauce is something that comes in a jar and a McDonald's burger is real food. I have a granddaughter who has survived into her teens eating peanut butter sandwiches Ruth and I raised two daughters who knew where the kitchen was but not what it was for. and one daughter who fearlessly attempts to expand her families menu. She also knows the rules of change and adapt.


3 comments:

  1. As I have always said you must practice to be good. You never give up and I love that about you, Honey! And besides your Jello failures, you are a very GOOD cook!! I think your blog will be a hit....because it is just plain folk, cookin' and share'in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I did not know this about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is possibly my favorite kitchen story about you. Jello, so simple to make, just ask Em and she can make you tons the next time we visit. Thanks for teaching me to love the kitchen and to experiment. You didn't always like to share the kitchen but at least I'm as stubborn as you are and never gave up fighting for kitchen time :)

    ReplyDelete