Friday, March 21, 2014

Baking tonight :  Muffins for Ruth and something new for me

Turned a crumb cake into muffins for Ruth.  Used the heat to warm the kitchen so my bread dough would rise. Yes I said I needed to warm up the house.  If you have ever visited, you either like it cold or know to wear a sweater when visiting.

Anadama Bread ( Recipe in Cook's Country, April/May 2014 edition )
I've never heard of this but the article is titled REDISCOVERING ANADAMA BREAD.
This as it turns out is a dark dense sweet bread.  I was attracted to this not just because I like to bake bread, but because it brought in two of my favorites,  corn meal and molasses.
I am about the only one I know who likes molasses.  I have it on my peanut butter sandwiches, and I like it on my pancakes.  And of the molasses flavor option I prefer the "full flavor" option.
If you are interested in the research and tinkering that went into this recipe, you will need to get a copy and read the article.
But here is the stuff you bakers need to know.

prepare two loaf pans, grease and dust with corn meal
grease a large bowl, to hold dough while it rises

1 Cup corn meal
5 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1Tbl spoon or 1 package instant/rapid rise yeast
2 1/2 tsp salt ( did as it called for , and may not decide to reduce salt, this taste good.)

Combine all the above in in a large bowl and whisk together.

2 Cups warm water (110 degrees)
1/2 Cup Molasses
5 TBL spoon unsalted butter MELTED

Whisk these together

Add wet ingredients to dry a bit at a time, stirring to incorporate.  ( Sorry I still do this by hand, recipe calls for new newfangled thing to mix ingredients using a dough hook.  What ever that is.)
Dough will be dense and heavy and I did have to work at it to get all the dry mixed in.
Turn dough out into the greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise at room temperature till double in size. About and hour and a half.
Gently deflate and divide dough in half.
Pat first half into a 8x18 rectangle, and then roll the dough starting at the narrow end into your loaf. Place in bread pan, cover with plastic wrap.  Repeat process to make second loaf.  Set these aside to double in size. Again about an hour and a half.
Heat oven to 425 degrees and turn down to 375 as soon as you put the bread in.  Bake 35 to 45 minutes.  Mine was ready at 35 minutes.
Turn bread out onto wire rack and cool for 2 hours before serving.
Tasted bread unadorned, this was the end peace with all that nice crust. Tasted a slice  buttered and another with butter and honey.  This bread does not require honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment